[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:47:48 UTC 2014

Hoi Janusz,

> Quote/Cytat - Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> (Mon 08 Sep 2014
> 04:10:58 PM CEST):

>> This is becoming very frustrating.

> I compeltely agree. I spend almost the whole weekend try to install
> MythTV on two virtual machines (I'm afraid to touch my "production"
> version) and I am still very confused.

>> I just did a clean install of Ubuntu
>> 14.04, again. I go to the Software Center to do a clean install of MythTV.
>> I select MythTV Backend

> Why not mythtv?

>> and the install begins.

> [...]

> I think you get better feedback about the installation process with
> aptitude or apt-get (but I'm a Debian man not familiar with Ubuntu
> Software Center)

>> The other fields are Ping Test - It is checked. Port: 3306. Database Name
>> mythconverg. User mythtv. Password mythtv.

> I guess you mean mythtv-setup

>> If I click on Next it takes me to Database screen 2. I click on Finish and
>> it takes me right back to the Select Language screen. I have to cancel out
>> as I am in a loop.

> This seems a 'standard' behavious when the connection to the database
> doesn't work.

>> This has happened to me before, this week where I did a Clean install of
>> both OS and MythTV with the same scenario. When I first installed 14.04 and
>> MythTV, a month ago, I had no problems with the install. Could there be
>> changes in the Ubuntu Updates or in the MythTV Install that are causing
>> these issues? By the way, I did the Clean install today. I was never asked
>> to create an Admin password for the database.

> Admin in mysql is called root, try to login as root

> mysql -uroot -p

> (you will be asked for a password which perhaps is empty)

> Try also mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv

> I guess at this stage you would be refused.

> Then log again as root and do what I wrote already yesterday

> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost';

> Logout and try again

> mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv

> I think this time you will be accepted.

> If yes, then probably mythtv-setup will start to work. If not, then we
> will just know more about the situation...

> Best regards and good luck

> Janusz

I agree that it is getting frustrating. What I guess is the matter is
that your password in mysql for the user mythtv is not mythtv but the
random password Mike was talking about. This was probably originally
set in config.xml but was by you running mythtv-setup overwritten with
the default 'mythtv'. As suggested try logging in to mysql with :
mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv
If that failes you know the password is not mythtv.
Then log in as the root user and change the password for the user
mythtv to mythtv. I don't have the command handy, but sombody else or
the man pages can supply you with the command. Then with your current
config.xml it should work.
Be sure to run the mythtv-setup as the linux user mythtv ( su mythtv )
or make sure .mythtv/config.xml is present in the home directory you
run it as.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven