[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Sep 8 04:55:19 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> (Sun 07 Sep
2014 10:36:35 PM CEST):

[...]

> Debian and Ubuntu have a quirk that when you install mythtv, the
> database 'mythconverg' is created with a randomised password. This
> is supposed to be a security measure.

And this it confusing if you accept the default password proposed by
the frontend.

> To find out what password was created, go to the home directory of
> the mythtv user (usually 'mythtv')

Really? It seems to me mythtv is a special kind of a user without a
home directory.

> It used to be the case that you would have to grant extra
> permissions on the database to get things to function. If you are
> using Debian or Unbuntu flavours, that should no longer be necessary.

This weekend I had a lot of problems configuring MythTV on Debian sid
(almost succesfully) and Ubuntu 14.10 (unsuccesfully) and it seems to
me that it is still needed, but I am not completely sure.

Regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)