[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Sep 7 20:36:35 UTC 2014

On 07/09/14 20:57, Richard Brook wrote:
> I did this At my home yesterday and today. I do not need to preserve any
> directories since I only watch live TV or record, watch once, and erase.
>
> The install used to inform me that I needed to be added to a group. I ran a
> grep command to see if I was listed in the group. I was.
>
> I read online that it as a good idea to create the db password MythTV,
> during install.

(Please don't top post.)

Debian and Ubuntu have a quirk that when you install mythtv, the database
'mythconverg' is created with a randomised password. This is supposed to be a
security measure.

To find out what password was created, go to the home directory of the mythtv
user (usually 'mythtv') and look at the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml file.
You should find out what password was created in there.

It used to be the case that you would have to grant extra permissions on the
database to get things to function. If you are using Debian or Unbuntu flavours,
that should no longer be necessary.

--

Mike Perkins