[mythtv-users] options for upgrade from 0.21

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Sep 5 00:41:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 03, 2014 09:19:56 AM Karl Newman wrote:
> >
> > let it upgrade the database. Note that any upgrade after version 0.24
> > might take quite a while because all the date/time fields have to be
> > converted to UTC. Once the upgrade completes successfully, run
>
> Thanks Karl. Can I avoid that "quite a while" by going from 0.21 to 0.24 or
> will I have to pay that price eventually?

The UTC conversion happened in 0.25 so once you upgrade past 0.24 you'll
need to go through it. I only mention the "quite a while" because at the
time the change happened a number of mythtv users mentioned that it took
them many minutes. In my case, for my ~6-7 year old (at the time) mythtv
system, it took less than 30 seconds I'd guess. That is, the database was
6-7 years old. The hardware was relatively new: an Intel Sandy Bridge i3.
Just be patient during that time and don't abort mythtv-setup or you'll
have a partially-converted (i.e., broken) database.

Sincerely,

Karl