[mythtv-users] options for upgrade from 0.21

Fredrik Hallgarde mythtv at tedde.nu
Wed Sep 3 19:25:30 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 07:25 PM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 03.09.2014 04:01, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca
>> <mailto:jerome at supernet.ab.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     2 Install whatever handles the last MythTV release that could
>> migrate
>>        from 0.21 (0.25)? Then upgrade everything (OS and Myth) to the
>>     latest.
>>
>>        Can I do that for Fedora? I have time to go through the process.
>>

>>     Anyone with experience upgrading from a way-old Myth?
>>
>   If upgrading from 0.21 and earlier, you need to go via an
>     intermediate version, we suggest the latest fixes/0.24.
>

> So I suggest to go 0.21 (whatever you got now) via latest fixes/0.24 to
> latest fixes/0.27.
> I'm not sure how to get lasted fixes/0.xx on Fedora though.

I did a 0.21 to 0.27 jump via 0.24 in January using a virtual machine. I
also changed hostname, hardware (VM-->physical) and distro
(fedora-->ubuntu) in the process. It all went well.

See old mail for outline:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2014-January/359696.html

I used Ubuntu 10.04 as intermediate release with 0.24, I suggest you
find a Fedora-version which came with 0.24 and try that. If the
available packages aren't updated with fixes to an appropriate level you
might have to compile from source. See referenced outline for info on a
probable bug in db-upgrade 1215->1216 that delays the upgrade, not sure
if it has been fixed in 0.24-fixes. I used whatever level came in the
packages.

Strictly speaking I think the intermediate distro could be different,
i.e. if you have issues finding a suitable Fedora version, use another
such as Ubuntu 10.04.

I would go for a full restore of the database, but re-visit tuners and
storage groups in mythtv-setup.

As others have stated, backups after each step is a GOOD thing.

Good luck!

Fredrik