[mythtv-users] Video Frame Buffering Failed Too Many Times

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:54:39 UTC 2014

I have been running MythTV 027 and Ubuntu 14.04 for several months now. I
have been receiving all the updates, every couple of days. One thing that
has been constant is that MythTV will crash, randomly, whether I am
watching LiveTV or a PreRecorded show. It just freezes, then gradually gets
darker until the window is black. If I hit ESC, eventually, the menu
appears and I choose Watch TV. Up comes Schedules Direct Cable Guide, to
the default channel. I scroll to the channel I want to watch and hit Enter.
It may run for several hours or freeze in a few minutes and force me to hit
ESC again. The same is true with a PreRecorded show.

Many times, I will receive an error box that says Video frame buffering
failed too many times. This is usually with a PreRecorded show. I click OK
and restart the recording. I Googled this and found a suggestion to change
the Audio buffer size. I have tried various values, but nothing has cured
the problem.

Rich Brook