[mythtv-users] one recording keeps failing

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 07:12:15 UTC 2014

> On 1 Sep 2014, at 10:36 pm, "Vincent McIntyre" <vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:50:40PM +1000, blind Pete wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 23:08:00 +1000
>> Vincent McIntyre <vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings mythizens,
>>>
>>> I have a strange issue that I wanted to report in case it is a bug.
>>> The system is mythbuntu 12.04 LTS with 0.27-fixes, all up to date.
>>> There is one tuner card with two tuners. myth is configured with
>>> one additional virtual tuner per physical tuner, so 'Tuner Status'
>>> lists four tuners.
>>
>> Our setups are similar.  I think that we are even having trouble with
>> the same program.
>>
>> 1)  Each physical tuner can handle five virtual tuners, so you should
>> be able to capture everything on the ABC and SBS including NITV.
>>
>> 2)  What if /The Seven Thirty Report/ had its name "7.30" interpreted
>> as a decimal number instead of a string?
>>
>> 3)  I bet that your four current virtual tuners are ordered oddly.
>> (Read that as wrongly.)  That seems to be catching lots of people.
>>
>> Can you fire up mysql with "mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg",
>> <password>, and "select cardinputid, cardid, schedorder, livetvorder
>> from cardinput;"?  Get out of it with "quit".  The password is probably
>> in ~/.mythtv/* .
>
> Here is what I have. I just added the adapters in with mythtv-setup
> and let it default to 2 virtual tuners (ie I did not try to influence
> the order at all).
>
> mysql> select cardinputid, cardid, schedorder, livetvorder
>    -> from cardinput;
> +-------------+--------+------------+-------------+
> | cardinputid | cardid | schedorder | livetvorder |
> +-------------+--------+------------+-------------+
> |           1 |      1 |          1 |           1 |
> |           2 |      2 |          1 |           1 |
> |           3 |      3 |          3 |           3 |
> |           4 |      4 |          3 |           3 |
> +-------------+--------+------------+-------------+

Note, depending on your usage the general recommendation is to have your LiveTV order the opposite to your scheduler order to try and minimise LiveTV tripping up your recordings.

>> Then again, I could be completely wrong.
>
> For my system I am starting to suspect the hardware,
> but there are other things at play.
> * The network changed their callsign from 'ABC1' to 'ABC'
>   (on both subchannels of the multiplex, sigh)
>   So I deleted the recording rule and recreated it,
>   with the 'this channel' and 'this time' scheduling filters ticked.
>   That did not seem to make a difference.

Note that 'this time' recording rules might be a bit sensitive to changes in your EPG schedule.

If there have been changes to the channels have you tried doing a rescan of the channels in MythTV-setup and checking video source setup? Could always try a delete all capture card / video sources (on all hosts) and readd as a bit of a longshot.

> * I told it to 'prefer tuner 3' in the 'ABC News' recording rule.
>   This has worked for me.
>
> * Some other recordings trying to use tuner 1 have been failing too.
>
> I do think there is some kind of mythtv bug or misfeature lurking here.
> When the recording starts, it shows up in the 'watch recordings'
> view rendered in green (currently recording). But there is no file
> open in any of the recordings directories - the system is waiting for
> the tuner to settle.

I'm not sure I followed your conclusion here that the system is waiting for the tuner to settle? Did you get this from the log files? If you try and view an in progress recording what do you see? If you go to LiveTV and manually change the input source to the second virtual tuner in the physical tuner you are having trouble with and channel change to the channel in question what do you see?