[mythtv-users] options for upgrade from 0.21

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 3 02:01:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> I knew this day was coming... My trusty Myth box, nearly 8 years old,
> running 24/7 for all but 2 6-month periods and maybe a few half-days for a
> move or upgrade, just threw out the invoice for it today with a tax-records
> purge. CAN$300 with a CAN$180 PVR-500, a little extra RAM, to 1G, and later
> an additional 280G drive for more recordings. 16,005 recordings, over 1059
> shows.
>
> SMART is starting to send ominous signals about /dev/sda1...
>
> So now it's time to make another one for the next eight years. I have the
> gear planned out, might bite the bullet and activate my digital box and
> deal with channel-change and priority issues. Not interested in paying for
> HD. Fortunately I can run the new box in parallel since it has a matching
> PVR-500.
>
> But... I'm on MythTV 0.21 and it's loooonnng-obsolete.
>
> I'd like some advice on my 2 options, as I see them.
>
> 1 Capture my old recordings as just videos, forget all my old stuff
>   and start fresh.
>
>   If I haaaave to. I'd have to rebuild all my recording rules and do a
>   bunch of Never Record for episodes I've already seen.
>
>   Maybe I could extract the Recorded and Recording Rules data from
>   the old setup and import them into the new setup.
>
>   I'm not afraid to look at schemas and write some SQL. It's worth it to
>   me, unless it's an insane idea. Or maybe I could just dump them out to
>   give me a list for doing it manually.
>
> 2 Install whatever handles the last MythTV release that could migrate
>   from 0.21 (0.25)? Then upgrade everything (OS and Myth) to the latest.
>
>   Can I do that for Fedora? I have time to go through the process.
>

> Anyone with experience upgrading from a way-old Myth?

Just do an iterative upgrade... 0.23, 0.25, 0.27.... should be pretty
flawless as far as upgrading the critical data (recording history).  Then I
would do a full DB backup (just in case) and a partial DB backup (for
restoring to the new system).

Build your new system, install the latest mythtv, configure everything to
your liking, and finally do the partial restore to get your recording rules
and history back.

Look in the wiki for instructions for doing the partial backup/restore.