[mythtv-users] Commercial Removal Before Final Transcode?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Oct 31 20:17:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 15:42 -0400, jim wrote:
> I have read numerous discussions on this topic - many so old I wonder if
> they have been overcome by events. What is the current best way to
> remove commercials prior to transcoding to the target format? I have the
> commercial flagging start when the recording starts and review of the
> recording in MythTV reveals that most of the commercials are skipped.

I am jealous.  Most of my recordings are mixed-framerate so mythcommflag
does not accurately record where the commercials are.  It finds them
accurately enough but because it assumes a single framerate, the markers
end up being placed at the wrong times/frames.

It has been mentioned previously that framerate changes are now recorded
in the markup file (which IIRC is the same file that the commercial
start/stop flags are recorded in) so I think, in theory, that one could
even fix up the start/stop markers by just reading that file and
adjusting the existing commercial markers for the framerate changes and
not even having to touch the mythcommflag code.

Of course this is the less-than-ideal solution, but ISTM that it should
be possible.  I just have not had time to actually test it out.  I
probably have to figure out how the framerate markers are recorded
first.  I seem to recall looking at them before and it not being obvious
(to a non-video-processing guy) how they were indicating what the
frame-rate was.

Somebody please let me know if I'm crazy with that idea.

Cheers,
b.