[mythtv-users] Checking power status of STB

Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Fri Oct 31 19:43:58 UTC 2014

On 14-10-31 01:27 PM, Justin Alcorn wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Justin Alcorn <justin at jalcorn.net> wrote:
>>> I was searching for a way to check power status on my STB
>> There are a lot of different STBs out there, and every MSO
>> seems to have their own idea on timeouts and shutdown,
>> and even what ports are enabled.
>>
>> <conjecture>
>> For some boxen, using firewire to determine the power
>> status may be a better choice, even if one uses a
>> HD-PVR for content (and on some boxen, in addition to
>> the ability to determine the power status, there were
>> distinct firewire power on/off commands, so no toggling
>> needed).  While firewire ports are rare these days,
>> for something low bandwidth like a power on/off
>> command (if you STB supports that) a USB to firewire
>> dongle would likely work.
>> </conjecture>
> My setup: TWC with Cisco STB. Ubuntu 14.04.1 and MythTV 0.28

I used to do something like that though I was doing something like R.G.
suggested to see if the tuner was in use, and if not then running the
script.  I (accidently) discovered one day that my STB also supported
the same ir command set as dish network boxes, and that the dish
commands included a discrete power-on command (versus power toggle). So,
just made my channel change command include a power-on command first.

Just something to think about.

Andrew.