[mythtv-users] fire tv stick for 19.99

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 17:10:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Plex is already released for the FIreTV. You can use the MythTV Plex
>> channel to connect to and view recordings (and it will auto-transcode when
>> remote), though the interface is clunky. I had Plex indexing all my
>> recordings via Symlinks created by Mythlink.pl with metadata and it worked
>> pretty well for a while, but broke a while ago and I'm not sure why. If I
>> spent a weekend banging on it I'd be able to get it back in shape I think.
>>
>> My FireTV stick arrives December 3rd so I'll be sure to report back.

>>> LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
>>> this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!
>>>

>> It's crazier than you think - I ordered a quad core Atom
>> PC-on-an-HDMI-stick from China last week. Should be here in a couple weeks
>> and I'm going to attempt to load MythBuntu on it. It allegedly can run a
>> full desktop OS.
>>

> I was just checking those out too.  Please let us know how it goes for
> you.   I was holding off to compare these to the similar hardware of the
> Google Nexus Player (also quad Atom).

I will. I even bought sticktv.org because hey, why not. The issue with the
Nexus Player and all the other purpose-built boxes is that they're probably
built at a loss, so they're tied to their platform and won't let you load
your own OS onto them.  If this little Atom stick works well and gets to
the $99 mark it really will be something special.