[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Oct 31 15:15:18 UTC 2014

On 10/30/2014 12:14 PM, Russell Gower wrote:
> I don’t think you need the virtual network, just configure mythtv to
> listen on one of the IP’s then configure 3 DNAT rules to forward the
> ports from the other IP address to the one mythtv is listening on, you
> should’t need to worry about the return traffic as you have direct
> routes to both networks.

No.  No address translation here.  The one address MythBackend will be
listening on is the one address MythFrontend will try to connect to it
on.  The only way NAT could be made to work here is if you spoofed the
frontend with custom settings on the command line, forcing it to try to
connect using a different address, which you then clumsily translated
back to the proper address.

The only time NAT should _EVER_ be used is when trying to link two
networks that cannot numerically co-exist.  That means either linking a
private network into a global address range, or two overlapping private
networks.  Either situation is an indication of poor planning on
someone's part.