[mythtv-users] Attaining Smooth Video Playback with VDPAU

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Oct 31 14:07:57 UTC 2014

On 31 Oct 2014, at 01:30, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's some debate than when the refresh rate isn't supported, rather
> than dropping frames to match, we could simply play everything
> slightly faster and be super smooth.

That would be a great feature, I never really understood why there was such a big fuss about playing 23.976 at 23.976 exactly. Before anyone jumps in I know about the NTSC subcarrier interference problem which caused the offset in the first place but I’m not an NTSC Analog TV station so it really doesn’t matter to me, I’m also not a musician so I wouldn’t notice the tiny pitch shift.

With modern displays and modern playback software there should be no problem to speed up ever so slightly and play smoothly at 24p, after all in Europe we commonly speed up 24p movies to 25p at the TV playout center for TV broadcast.

Actually playing a 24p movie at even 25p might be a nice feature for anyone in Europe who’s TV doesn’t support “24p”, we Europeans are not used to seeing 3:2 pulldown in 60i/p video and it looks quite unpleasant when you are not used to it.

> that would be as an option obviously

Would it mess up bitstreamed audio? That’s the only technical problem I could think of and you would know the answer I expect… :-)

Andre