[mythtv-users] Attaining Smooth Video Playback with VDPAU

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Oct 31 13:54:53 UTC 2014

On 28 Oct 2014, at 19:28, Greg Grotsky <spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I did this (without using a custom xorg.conf) it didn't appear to change any of the video modes.
> I tried playing a few different files and according to xrandr output (see previous post) there should be a host of different resolutions available, right? I tried a 720p, a 480p, and a 1080i recording and according to my TV they all were played in 1080p.

No one seems to have picked up on this point: MythTV only changes frame rate to closest match not resolution _and_ frame rate, so you won’t see a switch to 720p for a 720p recording if your TV mode is normally 1080p.

You can set specific resolution overrides which is useful if you really want 720p to output as 720p for example. I have one that matches 1280x720 as my projector can do higher framerates at 720p than 1080p, I have some videos at 720p100 and 720p120 which play correctly and (extremely) smoothly with the resolution match rule and automatic frame rate set.

You might want to output at native resolution if your TV does a better job of scaling than your video card but to do this you have to make an override in MythTV for each resolution you want to be recognised.

Andre