[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:35:49 UTC 2014

Hoi John,

> Ok, lets see if this shows up on the bottom now.  Running the
> pre-release of Office an Outlook.  Of course force configured at Microsoft.

> My router is a HP DL360 G5 with a single P4 an 2Gb ram running SLES
> 11sp3.  I am fairly certain it can handle the load.  Adding a 3rd
> network was my long term goal.  I am just not in a position to do so
> now.  I need new networking hardware as well as added capacity on my
> VM Server before adding a 3rd network for liveTV.

> The reason for just wanting the Master Backend to listen on 2
> Network cards is because then the clients can just can just make
> there request directly on the server.  An with NO routing on the
> MythBuntu server, there is minimal risk regards to security.
> Further more.  I have no need for the traffic from one network to
> load the second network down with media.  Not when the I should be
> able to keep all the traffic local to the network if MythTV could just listen on both NICs.

> At this point, I have no way of providing LiveTV to both Networks.
> Plex allows me to share my stored media to all, so anything recorded
> can be shared.  An MythWEB can be accessed by all networks.  An
> that's where the frustration is.  But since I am not ready to invest
> in the 3rd network, my only other option is to dig up some old
> hardware and build a dedicated Master Backend an HD HomeRun Tuner
> (after I can buy a second tuner) on each network.

> So is there NO way of doing this?  Not that I like this idea as its
> not very user friendly, but what about when compiling?  If I was to
> build from source (which I have failed at several times in the past), could this be set there?

> John Moore
> OSG VM Solutions Team

I don't see how this can be done other then through routing. You could
try to build a patch, but I guess that the only relative simple way to
achieve that is by adding a kind of routing module into mythtv, which
won't be easy. You than in essence, as I suggested first, isolate
mythtv into an internal virtual subnet that can route to multiple
other subnets. Anything else would mean to many fundamental changing.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop