[mythtv-users] RNG110 Set-top Box

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 02:52:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Andrew Gideon <ag918762 at gideon.org> wrote:
> This is news to me.  If I'm understanding what I've just quickly read
> correctly, cablecard devices now work with Linux?

If the content is marked "copy freely" (which Comcast mostly
does, except for the "premiums" such as HBO/Showtime/Starz/etc.)
MythTV is able to record the content using an OCUR tuner.
Note that the premiums cannot be recorded via firewire anyway.

Common OCUR tuners are manufactured by Ceton, SiliconDust
and Hauppauge (actually a SiliconDust device under the covers).

Other MSOs (TWC being the largest, but not the only(*)) mark
most content other than the local and government channels
as Copy Once, which only certified devices supporting full
protected path implementations (Microsoft and TiVo)
can record, resulting in MythTV not being entirely viable.

In Comcastic land, chose an OCUR tuner for MythTV.

Note that the CableCARD rental fees depend on local
franchise agreements (and any new CableCARD is no
longer under the "transition" fee period where you could
have gotten a CableCARD "free" (nothing is free, but...)),
and will vary; in my case, it costs me $1.50/month (actually,
less, but I am pretty sure Comcast billing is confused;
not that I am going to help them increase my monthly
rates just because their billing systems cannot handle my
unique equipment portfolio).

Gary

(*) Having a friend in TWC areas that have been confirmed
to be part of the Comcast acquisition regions I am hoping that
the merger, if approved, will solve their issues with TWC
and copy once in the long run.