[mythtv-users] I see major trouble ahead ...

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Mon Oct 27 18:44:55 UTC 2014

On 26/10/14 22:19, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/26/2014 04:41 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> Correct.  I date the ebuilds based on the date that I create the
>>>
>>> patches from fixes.  The ebuild contains the actual git commit, though
>>> the commit rate on fixes isn't that high.  Gentoo needs an orderable
>>> version number to detect upgrades/etc, and the date is as useful as
>>> anything else since git doesn't offer anything adequate here.
>>
>> Git can produce a date if you like:
>>
>>      git log --pretty="%ci" HEAD^..HEAD
>>
>> returns the committer's date for the last commit:
>>
>>      2014-10-24 15:00:16 +0100
>>
>> (that's a 0.28-pre timestamp in case you're checking.)
>>
>> There are a bunch of format choices, 'git help log' has a list.
>>
> My point was more that a date is somewhat ambiguous since there could
> be many commits on date, but there isn't really anything better to
> use, since git lacks any kind of monotonically increasing identifier
> otherwise.

There's always 'git describe'.  For example "git describe fixes/0.27"
returns "v0.27.4-6-ge0b0027", which means that it's 6 commits ahead of
the 'v0.27.4' tag with git commit number e0b0027. Because it includes
the number of commits ahead of the tag it should always be an increasing
version (barring any history rewriting going on, that is).

Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started