[mythtv-users] Gentoo mythfrontend auto-start

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Mon Oct 27 18:08:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently had to rebuild a couple of my (Gentoo) Myth boxes, and I'm not
> sure exactly what I was using for auto-starting Mythfrontend.  What scripts
> are y'all using for this?

Right now (on Gentoo), I'm using:
/etc/systemd/system/getty at tty1.service.d/autologin.conf:
Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --autologin mythtv --noclear %I 38400 linux

/home/mythtv/.bash_profile:
case "`tty`" in
        *tty1) startx; logout ;;
esac

It would be trivial to stick something equivalent in inittab in sysvinit.

There are other ways of doing it, but doing it this way with systemd
has the advantage that mythtv owns the console, which helps with
permissions/etc.  I imagine that the same is true with openrc if
you're using consolekit/etc.

--
Rich