[mythtv-users] Attaining Smooth Video Playback with VDPAU

Greg Grotsky spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:32:59 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you're going to have to give a lot more information before you
> can be helped...  What version of Mythtv (list the output of
> mythfrontend --version)?  Which nvidia driver?
>
> Have you followed the suggestions here:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
>
> When playing back a 720p video what refresh rate and resolution is
> reported in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Hi Neil, I am using:

$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v0.28-pre-2339-g66d06b7
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 83
Library API : 0.28.20141012-1
QT Version : 4.8.6
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_libcrypto
using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl
using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib
using_x11 using_xrandr using_profiletype using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  331.38  Wed Jan  8 19:32:30
PST 2014
GCC version:  gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
$

Here's my current Xorg.log file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14826228/MythDebug/Xorg.0.log
Here's my current xorg.conf file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14826228/MythDebug/xorg.conf

I haven't tried the ideas in the link and I do not have the "Separate video
modes for GUI and TV playback" checked. Do you know if mplayer uses
separate video modes for playback? It doesn't seem to. I have a hard time
thinking this is a driver issue when mplayer can play the video smoothly
without these things. Though, I am open to this, I'll have to give it a try
when I have some more time to play around.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

>  I too have a GT 430 and remember going through something similar. I
> monkeyed with all the xorg.conf settings but in the end I think it was a
> matter of making sure I had a recent Nvidia driver installed, making sure
> /var/log/xorg.log showed VDPAU being loaded and, most importantly, that
> VDPAU was selected in Myth's video playback profile.
>
> My xorg.0.log:
>
> [286257.692] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
> [286257.692] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: nvidia

Kirk, do you use that "Separate video modes for GUI and TV playback"
option? I also see those VDPAU lines in my Xorg.0.log file (see link
above). I have tried all three VDPAU pre-programmed options in the playback
menu and futzed around with the internal VDPAU filters, # of cpu cores, and
deinterlacer options but haven't seen a marked difference in playback.

My Xorg.0.log
[    14.472] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[    14.472] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: NVidia