[mythtv-users] Attaining Smooth Video Playback with VDPAU

Greg Grotsky spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 01:25:18 UTC 2014

 So, I've noticed on my machine when I try to play a 720p video it has a
slight push-pull effect on the playback speed. You can tell this when
watching a section of video where the camera smoothly pans across a scene,
the smooth pan is... not smooth. I can play the same video back with
mplayer (using VDPAU) and it works great and IS smooth.

 I spent the afternoon googling about vdpau and video timing trying to
troubleshoot this issue but have come up empty handed. Looking at my
frontend log with -v playback I can see that I'm running "Video timing
method: RTC". I'd like to try to get this to use DRM or DRI whatever but it
never budges. My video card is a Nvidia GT430 and I've seen options in
nvidia-settings for Vsync. So far I have tried:

1. Removing all deinterlacers
2. Disabling CPU Frequency scaling
3. Disabling GPU Frequency scailing
4. Playing with vdpaubuffersize in the filters option
5. Both settings for Vsync in nvidia-settings
6. Adding Option "Composite" "Disable" to the xorg.conf
7. Adding Option "TripleBuffering" "True" to the xorg.conf

I'm at a loss as to why it defaults to RTC, also my RTC is set to 1024 but
that doesn't seem to impact the playback performance. It seems less likely
that it's a problem with my system/os and more like a mythtv setup/playback
thing because of the smooth playback of mplayer. :-/

I am open to all suggestions.