[mythtv-users] I see major trouble ahead ...

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sun Oct 26 19:40:52 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no problem building it by hand and it goes to /usr/local (which
> is on path) so plain running ldconfig will do it.
> However, I have no clue how to build specific commit ID. Something I
> have to learn ...

mkdir mythtv-source ; cd mythtv-source
git clone -b fixes/0.27 https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git .
git bisect start aaae611819c6a6f92a55d5c82efb8738ec9a23df
583395f5a376637efcd408a102fa64d0f188c12f

aaae6 corresponds to the July ebuild you said didn't work, and 58339
corresponds to the March ebuild you said works (which is considerably
newer than the version you mentioned in the original post).  If you
look in the ebuild file near the top you'll see a BACKPORTS variable
that is set to the commit that the ebuild is installing (it downloads
a tarball of patches with that ID in the filename and applies it to
the original source).

When you run the commands above you'll be in a mythtv repository that
is half-way between those builds.  Go ahead and build mythtv and test
it.  When you're done run either "git bisect bad" or "git bisect good"
depending on whether or not it worked.  You'll now be moved halfway to
the last known bad/good position and you can do a "git clean -f" to
clean out all the old build files, then try again.  Eventually you'll
narrow things down to the first bad commit after a good one, which you
can post here.

If you get a build that you can't test (should be unlikely in the
fixes branch, but anything is possible) you can run "git bisect skip"
which will try a different commit without registering the current one
as either good or bad.  You should do that if you run into an
unrelated issue or if the build system fails for some reason.  That is
more commonly found in development branches - you're in the fixes
branch so any commit should be stable and in my monthly patching I've
yet to find one that isn't.

--
Rich