[mythtv-users] I see major trouble ahead ...

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 19:12:17 UTC 2014

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:25:27 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Saul A. Peebsen
> <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The last version that works for me as FE is 317d5b7.
>
> Yikes - that is 0.27 without any fixes at all.
>
> Have you confirmed that you can rebuild that version and it still
> works?  That would eliminate issues with the toolchain/etc which could
> be causing false alarms.

I just rebuilt mythtv-0.27_p20140321 in my up to date ~amd64 desktop
and it built fine and it runs good.
Then I built 0.27.1_p20140713 and it is broken.

> At that point you could either tweak the ebuild to directly build
> against a git commit (probably a bit of work, but not terribly hard to
> do).  Then you can checkout the mythtv repository and start up git
> bisect in it, and at each step just copy/paste the commit ID into the
> ebuild and re-install it.  You could also just try building mythtv
> without using the ebuild, but mythtv is fairly modular and I'm not
> sure how straightforward it is to run it without installing it.  I
> suppose you could configure with --prefix=/var/tmp/mythtv or something
> like that, and then run "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/tmp/mythtv/lib
> /var/tmp/mythtv/mythfrontend".  That might be easier than tweaking the
> ebuild, but you might want to first test the known-good and known-bad
> versions to make sure they still do/don't work since your configure
> options might be different than the ebuild's.  Your Gentoo build
> output should contain the configure command line that it uses, so you
> could use the same one except for the prefix.

I have no problem building it by hand and it goes to /usr/local (which
is on path) so plain running ldconfig will do it.
However, I have no clue how to build specific commit ID. Something I
have to learn ...

Thanks!

--
Cheers, Saul