[mythtv-users] OT: wireless HDMI

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 16:14:09 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has a wireless HDMI solution they are willing to
> recommend using (and/or ones to stay away from).

Note that almost all of these devices compress
the HDMI video using various methods.  Whether
the results are acceptable to you is something
that depends on your particular requirements and
sensitivity to artifacts that are generated,

I do not have any experience with theses particular
devices, but I have always found Gefen to take video
devices seriously, and while they are never the
cheapest, their equipment is used by people who
do video setup for a living (i.e. those that do not want
to get callbacks from their customers because it
is not working well):

http://www.gefen.com/wireless/

Gefen offers an uncompressed device in their
portfolio

> As an aside I wonder how long it will be until somebody comes up with a
> device that Chromecasts from any HDMI source.  :-)  Leveraging an
> existing whole home wireless network to send the signal from any HDMI
> outputing device to anywhere in a home is certainly inviting.  I doubt
> those exist yet though.

Because of the (very high) bandwidth requirements of
native HDMI (vs compressed video), the "true way"
for wireless video in the house is new equipment in
the 60Ghz band, which typically works only within a
very short distance (barely more than the room) and
use open standards rather than the current proprietary
solutions typically used on existing devices.