[mythtv-users] multiple selectable audio device configurations

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 09:47:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I normally have my FE configured to route sound out of the
> HDMI-connected sound device, out to my TV.
>
> I had occasion the other night to need to plug headphones in.  No plug
> in the TV for that.  So I plugged them into the FE's stereo out and
> reconfigured the FE to route sound there instead.
>
> It got me to thinking that it would be useful to be able to configure
> multiple sound devices and give them names and them make them selectable
> under the Audio menu when playing back.
>
> Am I the only one that thinks this would be useful?

I don't have a direct answer, but my workaround is to direct audio to
both HDMI and the analogue output.  I then just switch on the
headphones and turn down the TV volume when I don't want to make any
noise.

Append the following to /etc/pulse/default.pa:

load-module module-combine-sink sink_name=combined
set-default-sink combined

In the FE set the audio device to ALSA:default

For other applications, e.g. mplayer, use pavucontrol to select the
combined device for output.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Lucas Christian <lucas at lucasec.com> wrote:
> On traditional linux desktop setups (running Gnome, KDE, etc.), that kind of
> switching is usually handled by PulseAudio. It should be possible to set
> MythTV to output to PulseAudio, which will let PulseAudio handle those
> decisions.  Whether or not AC3/DTS passthrough, etc. works correctly,
> however, I'm not sure.

If I select PulseAudio as the output device for the FE about half the
time I end up with white noise when either jumping forwards or
backwards, or in the transition between programs when watching live
tv.  This has been consistent across multiple machines.  Am I the only
one to experience this?

Thanks,
Alistair