[mythtv-users] trying to set myth for fta sats 125w and 87w

Bruno Majewski majewskibr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 04:12:23 UTC 2014

i have procurred a tbs 6982 card in order to have a myth-based pvr for fta
broadcasts.

i have two dishes set up, one aimed at 125w amc21, the other pointed to 87w
ses2.

each dish has an "Avenger PLL322S-2 Dual LNB"; one output goes to a
geosatpro microhd fta receiver attached to my toshiba flat-panel, the other
output to the tbs card.

diseqc switches used are "b.e.s.t. germany" 4x1 units. one unit is for the
microhd receiver, the other is for the mythtv pvr.
on both diseqc switches, port 1 is for 125w, port 2 is for 87w.

using such a configuration, i know that if the geosat receiver sees a
strong signal from a satellite, the tbs fta card should see the same.
it should not be possible for the myth pvr to the hooked to a dish that is
not aimed correctly.

so i have installed the latest mythbuntu onto that pvr (version 14.04.1).
 after downloading and installing the drivers for the fta
card, i have configured myth to use that card, to use a diseqc switch to
access either lnb, and to use "universal (europe)" lnb units (the avenger
units are universal).

as a "video source", for the time being, i have told myth to use
"transmitted guide only (eit)" as a grabber.

scanning for channels on both sats has the same result: despite the signal
gauge clearly fluctuating on something as the scan progresses,
no lock is achieved, a "time out, no signal" message is displayed, as well
as "failed to find any channel"

each time, i have proceeded with a "full scan (tuned)", entering the
frequency of a specific transponder, polarity, symbol rate, etc.
these values are what i see on my geosat receiver, only with some added
zeroes in some cases.

i have also tried to use the command-line utility "scan-s2" on both sats,
without much more success.

i think the problem is simple, but the documentation i have found isn't
fully up to date and might be incomplete.
i am sure someone more experienced might see whatever mistake i have made
very quickly.  so, help?

to give an idea of the values i have entered, here are the .conf files i
have created to use with scan-s2:

(in both cases, these are transponders used by pbs)

87W.conf:

S2 11812000 H 11149000 3/5 AUTO 8PSK

----

125W.conf:

S2 12180000 V 30000000 3/4 AUTO 8PSK

----

here are two attempted runs of scan-s2, one for each sat:

###start###

root at myth-fta:~/Downloads/TBS/scan-s2# su root
root at myth-fta:/home/bruno/Downloads/TBS/scan-s2# ./scan-s2 -a 0 -f 0 -s 2
-l UNIVERSAL 87W.conf
API major 5, minor 3
scanning 87W.conf
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
initial transponder DVB-S2 11812000 H 11149000 3/5 AUTO 8PSK
----------------------------------> Using DVB-S2
>>> tune to: 11812:hC35M5S1:S0.0W:11149:
DVB-S IF freq is 1212000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to: 11812:hC35M5S1:S0.0W:11149: (tuning failed)
DVB-S IF freq is 1212000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
ERROR: initial tuning failed
dumping lists (0 services)
Done.
root at myth-fta:/home/bruno/Downloads/TBS/scan-s2#
root at myth-fta:/home/bruno/Downloads/TBS/scan-s2# ./scan-s2 -a 0 -f 0 -s 1
-l UNIVERSAL 125W.conf
API major 5, minor 3
scanning 125W.conf
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
initial transponder DVB-S2 12180000 V 30000000 3/4 AUTO 8PSK
----------------------------------> Using DVB-S2
>>> tune to: 12180:vC34M5S1:S0.0W:30000:
DVB-S IF freq is 1580000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to: 12180:vC34M5S1:S0.0W:30000: (tuning failed)
DVB-S IF freq is 1580000
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
ERROR: initial tuning failed
dumping lists (0 services)
Done.
root at myth-fta:/home/bruno/Downloads/TBS/scan-s2#
###end###

--
Bruno Majewski
majewskibr at gmail.com