[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Wed Oct 22 21:48:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> Essentially you are just disabling a setting they current have
> permission to change. Why wouldn't this be a good UI option?

It just seems obscure and complicated.  You're talking about
per-recording role-based access control, or at least role-based access
control in general.  The latter is probably more realistic, but you
have to apply it at a per-button level if you want to control access
to setting preserve/autoexpire.

I certainly don't have a problem with this being implemented, but it
seems likely that the order of operations will be to first remove
database access, and then after some indefinite period of time if
somebody is motivated they can add an extensive and likely-little-used
role-based access control system.

I'm just scratching my own itch here, and I'm going to tend to do it
in the easiest way possible.  The fact that MythTV makes this sort of
thing easy is a big selling point.

Please don't get me wrong - I've had to deal with countless Gentoo
systemd threads and the last thing I want to do is harp on this until
the end of time.  As with other controversial topics, people post
because they care.  I do appreciate that in the end the developers are
the ones doing the work and they're going to do things the way they
feel is best.  With FOSS our choices are to take it, leave it,
contribute, or fork, and the first two are vastly easier to do than
the latter two.  There is always the option to whine about it, and I
really don't want to be that guy.  I get that the devs don't buy the
argument, and that is their right.  They're not going about it the way
I would, but I'm not the one writing the code.  Nobody is taking
anything away from anybody - the code that is written is FOSS and will
always work the way it does today.  Nobody owes anybody anything.

Just do please try to keep the power users in mind.  I use KDE for a reason.  :)

--
Rich