[mythtv-users] Downgrading from 0.28 to 0.27

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:33:14 UTC 2014

> On 23 Oct 2014, at 3:08 am, "Justin Alcorn" <justin at jalcorn.net> wrote:
>
> I built my mythtv system on ubuntu and used the PPA to install.  Seeing 0.28, I of course chose the latest version  - not realizing I was using a pre-release version.  It's worked well, but I'm running into problems with mythcommflag and the H.264 files I need. Also, I later on decided to create a dedicated front end in my exercise room - only to discover that I couldn't use Mythbuntu.

Should be able to use 0.28 on Mythbuntu, IIRC you just load Mythbuntu-control-center and select, read the warning, type in the override and good to go.

> So I'm considering downgrading to 0.27.  I know there were significant schema changes and that there's no supported downgrade path.  I actually use PLEX for media that I want to keep long term, so just moving all the recordings I want to keep and starting from scratch is an option.  But It would be nice to have the recordings available for the frontend machine.
>
> So, options, in order of want:
>
> 1) Find a miracle, and fInd out that someone has written a script to change the schema and allow me to install 0.27 and get up and running with all my data  (YAY).  If that's happened, let me know.
>
> 2) Find the instructions on how to pull all the video recordings out, rebuild on 0.27, and then import them all back in and have them show up as if I had recorded them.
>
> 3) Discover the documentation on the database changes and write my own script that would take a mysqldump and convert it for later restoration into a 0.27 empty database. (I'm capable of both the technical and hours-of-labor/ADD/obsessive-compulsive sides of this, but probably not)
>
> 4) Just accept that the old recordings will not show up in Myth and rebuild from scratch.
>
> There's also the "Hey, 0.28 is working (mostly), so just leave well enough alone.

Hey, 0.28 is working! (Not just mostly working). Plus in a few months (give or take a few years) it will be general release and master will be 0.29.

If you have time / effort best bet is to probably post some info of the problems you are having in 0.28 and get them fixed - the same problems probably exist in 0.27 anyway, I very much doubt there is intentional breakage in 0.28 of something that worked in 0.27.