[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 19:16:56 UTC 2014

Rich Freeman <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> I do realize that some of this might
> be doable via scripting, but unless the script just runs raw SQL on
> the database you're not going to get the same performance out of it
> and it is another "language" to learn.  If it does run raw SQL on the
> database, then there is no way to control it and you get all the
> downsides of allowing outside database access today.

Not quite. Even if they accepted raw SQL and ran it against the DB - they still get to control access in as much as nothing can be accessing the DB without going through the backend. That makes (as has been pointed out) several tasks easier/safer.

Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> Completely separate from the topic, I've got to ask. Why are you guys
> doing so much work on your MythTV install? What I mean is, what are
> you accomplishing with this?

I don't do a huge amount, but a key task for me is editing the channels table.
Here in the UK, on Freeview, the default (logical) channel numbers are crap. As far as I can tell, it's a case of the original 5 analogue channels got LCNs 1-5, then the rest seem to have been given arbitrary numbers as they came up. Now that's one thing I can't stand.
So, no problem to just pop up the channel editor (in MythWeb) and change them. I can also enter the XMLTV IDs at the same time.
That's OK ... once.

Then when we have to rescan because they've had yet another shuffle, you have to do it all again.

So I have a SQL script (it's in the Wiki) that hides all the crap (shopping channels etc), sets channel numbers as I want them, sets the XMLTV IDs (or sets the EIT flag).

Whatever we get needs to be scriptable - a "point and click" UI is a complete waste of time for most of the use cases people are giving.