[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Oct 22 18:23:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> How about this one, run hourly from crontab:
> UPDATE \`recorded\`  SET \`autoexpire\` = '1',
>  \`preserve\` = '0' WHERE \`seriesid\` IN ('<bunch of ids>') ;
>
> Do you REALLY want to create a UI for that?

What are you trying to do with that one?  You're afraid users will be
enabling auto-expire on shows and trying to set them back to what you
think they should be hourly?  But you're not afraid they'll just
explicitly delete your stuff?

> Or (also run hourly):
> UPDATE \`recorded\`  SET \`autoexpire\` = '0',
>  \`preserve\` = '1' WHERE \`autoexpire\` = \`preserve\` ;
>
> That saves me having to toggle two flags at a time in the UI.

That's a perfect example of a case where the MythTV user interface is
confusing and could be improved.  There's almost no use cases I'm
aware of where any user would really want autoexpire on with preserve
on at the same time.  No user will will understand the difference
between "preserve this episode" and "disable autoexpire" by just
looking at the user interface without searching through the
documentation/mailing lists.  It would be a beneficial simplification
that these two fields be merged into one.  Trying to simulate that
with an hourly cron job is a hack.

Eric