[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Wed Oct 22 17:50:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
<gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> You do realize that "embed" doesn't mean, "Put a copy of the MySQL code into
>>> MythTV," right?  It simply means, "Use a database that doesn't require
>>> running an external database server application."
>
>> You embed ffmpeg today by putting a copy of the code into MythTV, and
>> you talk about having control over what features the database
>> supports.  That sounds like doing a cp -r on some portion of mysql and
>> sticking it in MythTV.  [... more FUD]
>
> It sounds like you still haven't googled "MySQL Embedded".

I know what MySQL embedded is.  Just as with any other piece of
software you can use the system version or you can distribute a
version in your tarball and install that.  MythTV uses just that
approach with ffmpeg, embedding their own copy of it in the source
tarball.  It COULD use the system-provided ffmpeg, but it doesn't (and
I realize that the bundled copy is slightly tweaked, but as I
understand it not to a great extent and it is more about having
control over just what is being linked to).

I don't hear any consistent commitment to "there will be no source
code from MySQL in the mythtv tarball" or anything like that.  If
we're talking about using the system-provided MySQL in embedded mode,
I'm still not happy with the change, but it would definitely be
preferable to bundling it.  That would give you the ability to control
things like DB repair, optimization, and backups, but not the ability
to use features that might or might not be present in the
system-provided libraries (unless they're specified as dependencies).
Users would still need to deal with some database-related issues, like
running on the most common distro filesystem configuration (ext4 +
ordered data).

--
Rich