[mythtv-users] Downgrading from 0.28 to 0.27

Justin Alcorn justin at jalcorn.net
Wed Oct 22 16:38:29 UTC 2014

I built my mythtv system on ubuntu and used the PPA to install.  Seeing
0.28, I of course chose the latest version  - not realizing I was using a
pre-release version.  It's worked well, but I'm running into problems with
mythcommflag and the H.264 files I need. Also, I later on decided to create
a dedicated front end in my exercise room - only to discover that I
couldn't use Mythbuntu.

So I'm considering downgrading to 0.27.  I know there were significant
schema changes and that there's no supported downgrade path.  I actually
use PLEX for media that I want to keep long term, so just moving all the
recordings I want to keep and starting from scratch is an option.  But It
would be nice to have the recordings available for the frontend machine.

So, options, in order of want:

1) Find a miracle, and fInd out that someone has written a script to change
the schema and allow me to install 0.27 and get up and running with all my
data  (YAY).  If that's happened, let me know.

2) Find the instructions on how to pull all the video recordings out,
rebuild on 0.27, and then import them all back in and have them show up as
if I had recorded them.

3) Discover the documentation on the database changes and write my own
script that would take a mysqldump and convert it for later restoration
into a 0.27 empty database. (I'm capable of both the technical and
hours-of-labor/ADD/obsessive-compulsive sides of this, but probably not)

4) Just accept that the old recordings will not show up in Myth and rebuild
from scratch.

There's also the "Hey, 0.28 is working (mostly), so just leave well enough
alone.

Advice?  Ideas?

--
Justin B. Alcorn
PGP Fingerprint A36D D691 C5B0 BE15 5A2A AF49 AA1C 372C