[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 22 15:09:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:47:41AM +0200, Andréas Kühne wrote:

> [...]

[deletia]

> >> Imagine if, instead of writing some SQL to just stick values into columns
> >> in the DB (where you have to figure out which columns and either assume or
> >> look up the specific values to insert into those columns), you had a
> >> generic script you could run to manipulate your recording rules en
> >> masse--for example, it first lets you select a group of rules (either one
> >> by one or using a "query"--some criteria such as "user job 1 is enabled")
> >> and then apply a modification to those selected rules (such as "enable user
> >> job 2").  Such a script would be straightforward to write--the hardest part
> >> being the generic UI.  Now imagine if that functionality were available
> >> directly from the backend web server (the new "MythWeb" so to speak).  It
> >> seems that bulk changes to recording rules is a common-enough requirement
> >> that we /should/ have such a capability, but no one (dev or otherwise) has
> >> been motivated enough to write a UI for it since there's a lazy way out.
> >>
> > I have written a couple of scripts that make use of the python bindings,
> > some of which would have been far easier/quicker to do simple sql
> > queries/updates.
> >
> > For all your reasons for the change, I am still not seeing a large
> > benefit.  Now, if it was said that "we need this to enable the creation of
> > a frontend for xxxx platform, or simpler/better integration with plex/kodi
> > (xbmc)" then I and many others (I am guessing) would not have uttered a
> > word.
> >
> > In the end, its Myth DVR (Developers Video Recorder) not a (Digital Video
> > Recorder), and us users must put up with what the developers wish to do.
> > The current MythMusic plugin is a classic example of how this attitude can
> > go wrong.  I used the old MythMusic plug in heavily, now I use Kodi for all
> > my Music needs, and using Kodi (with cMyth Plugin) more and more for
> > general frontend use.

[deletia]

> I have been following this discussion from the sidelines and I think that
> the entire discussion is really a bit wrong. MythTV is an open source TV
> platform that people develop in their spare time. We (the users) should be
> grateful for all of the effort these people have put into the system, and

    That doesn't mean we don't get a say. That doesn't mean we don't get
to criticize. That doesn't mean we shouldn't respond when that precious
time seems to be going to waste.

    Lack of feedback leads to stuff like the current MythMusic UI.

    The problem with embedding the database is that it seems to solve no
actual problem while causing developers to waste their time and alienate
the current users.

    Meanwhile, there are usability issues and features represented by all
of this tinkering that's being ingored. Instead of chasing the casual
tinkerers into the shadows, perhaps the developers should see what is
motivating all of this and consider addressing those issues instead.

    If I find it simpler to ding the database directly for some single
configuration issue, this mythical novice user they're focusing on isn't
going to fare any better.

[deletia]

> I for one would really welcome the ability to make MythTV more of an
> appliance than a program that you have to be somewhat of a DevOp to use. I

    My kid used MythTV when he was 4. Once installed, MythTV was a drop
in replacement for a Tivo and quickly was held in much higher regard than
one (Tivo).

[deletia]

    As far as the "appliance" thing goes, one of my own examples of "db tinkering"
is a script that clones settings from one machine to another. This simplifies the
task of setting up a new frontend considerably. All of the media storage definitions
get cloned as well as a basic set of UI related settings. Since I use roughly
standardized hardware for the frontends (ION), I also clone the decoder profiles.