[mythtv-users] Intel NUC DN2820FYKH frontend build

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 05:57:00 UTC 2014

On 21 Oct 2014 11:45, "James Linder" <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> > I am very interested in this frontend, I have some questions:
> >
> > 1. Is it a silent machine? I want to use it in the living room, so it
> > may be silent.
>
> It *does* have a fan, but a gnat farting at 6 paces would drown out the
sound, in fact I cannot hear it without putting my ear close AND in just
the right place

> > 2. Is it possible to wake up with Sapphire remote IR receiver?
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sapphire
>
> It has IR receive port. I’ve not tried but without doubt you can use
*something*, and the (efi) bios says it will wake on IR stuff.
> BTW if you can't make a bootable disk, erase it with dd and start again.
This area was tricky, but I can consistantly install ubuntu, suse and arch.
The only thing I can’t consistantly do is dual boot.

> > 3. I want to use it without a hard drive, is it possible to boot it
> > from USB drive?
>
> I’ve not tried USB3, but it does boot usb but linux usb2 is slow. I’d run
from ssd that makes it fast and is cheap, quiet and low power. In Australia
these NUCs are $170 and you can get 120G for $80ish I got a 64G for under
$50 but they are gone now.

And just to confirm, for all OTA Aussie programs, you have no problem with
playback?