[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Mon Oct 20 19:19:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 07:48:11PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So I came across this article at Neowin.net regarding a Windows 8 HDMI stick: http://www.neowin.net/news/intel-bay-trail-based-usb-stick-capable-of-running-windows-81-goes-on-sale
> >
> > In addition to the Windows stick, it mentions that both Microsoft and Mozilla are coming out with ChromeCast-style sticks of their own. I started to wonder... Is it time to throw away the dream of the $99 FE and look to devices like these instead? They would be low power, easy to setup and maintain (well, to plug into the tv), and cheaper than an entire computer.
>
> The standard response to such queries - which are very common these days - is :
> While some of these may be able to play some of the media type, they generally have a number of downsides. The biggest of these is that to work, someone has to write the frontend to run on that platform.
> After that, there are often restrictions on decoding (closed libraries, limited stream type support).
> And then there are often significant restrictions - eg small memory sizes.
>
> So yes, for some of them it is probably possible to port the frontend. But it's going to take someone with the skills, knowledge, time, and most importantly desire to do it.
>
> Not using the Myth Frontend means not getting the Myth user experience.

Your standard response doesn't really work here - the device is an
Intel IA processor (ok, it's in the Atom family but will run the x86 code
without modification) and has Intel HD graphics (VAAPI)

Here is a link to the datasheet for the processor
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-z36xxx-z37xxx-datasheet-vol-1.html

I'm not claiming it would be the best ever frontend, but there should be
little if any porting required.  Load your Linux on an SD card and install
mythfrontend.  Should work in theory (theory and practice may be different).

Pat