[mythtv-users] New Mythbuntu 14.04 battle with nvidia boot up

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Oct 18 16:25:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:49:42 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 5:47 PM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry my suggestion didn't help. Maybe it's time to accept the possibility your hardware is too old for 14.04 and you should just stick with 12.04?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Helen
>
>I never got up to 12.04.  I ran into other problems with that one that
>dragged into last Spring and was advised to just wait for the 14.04
>release. ;(
>
>Thank you for your suggestion.  I think it's closer to the solution,
>but I can't figure out what is amiss.

I have an Nvidia GT220 card, and over the years I have been using it,
there have been times when the Nvidia drivers have been broken for it,
and also times when the kernel seemed broken as well and I got no
video on boot.  In both cases, I have just gone back to a working
version and then waited for one or more later versions until it
started working again.  On one occasion, I had to wait for around six
kernel updates before it worked again.  Your card is even older than
mine, but you might be suffering from the same problem.  Either the
Nvidia drivers or the kernel might just be bad for your card.  So you
might like to try older versions of both.