[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Oct 18 15:09:51 UTC 2014

On 18/10/14 15:54, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes one of the main reasons for embedding the database is to make Myth
>>> easier to
>>> set up.
>>>
>>> The users who are complaining are probably quite happy to mess with mysql
>>> but
>>> most users just want it to work out of the box.
>>>
>> There's two separate concerns here. I can appreciate the desire to make
>> mythtv setup easier. Embedding the database is one less thing to worry
>> about. How many posts have we had here about systems that have had strange
>> mysql passwords or access restrictions they couldn't solve?
>>
>> On the other hand, once the system is up and running I think most of us feel
>> the need to be able to analyse the database, at the very least, when
>> something odd happens. To have a 'black box' is fine, providing the tools
>> used to access it are adequate for bug analysis and, in trivial cases, bug
>> fixing.
>>

> I seriously doubt that, Most users don't want to touch their box after
> it's setup because they view it as an appliance. That is why most
> users are still on 0.27.0.
>
>> With an off-the-shelf database like mysql those tools are, of course, freely
>> available. To write your own embedded database means writing your own tools
>> and that process will itself generate its own limitations and bugs.

"When something odd happens".

Like discovering that all your channels have been marked hidden after you have
done a rescan. And no, I shouldn't need to go fiddling in the apache config in
order to be able to use the mythweb editor to update them en masse.

Or discovering that you have the wrong regional programs because the postcode
you gave is allocated the wrong one. Sometimes it helps to see the underlying
data, rather than the GUI representation of it.

Or... you get the picture. If I have a problem and bring it here, I'm going to
be asked for some more information about it, often specific details of flags or
fields. I can't do that if I can't see the database.

--

Mike Perkins