[mythtv-users] New Mythbuntu 14.04 battle with nvidia boot up

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 16 22:36:30 UTC 2014

On 16/10/14 04:01 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> Sorry, I jumped on the first item and replied before reading the rest.
> I'm not sure what init-rd is.  Perhaps the ubuntu equivalent is
> update-initramfs, which I have been executing with some of the changes
> I've tried (most of them, actually in case there was an impact I
> didn't realize).  Googling dracut, it appears to be the fedora
> equivalent of ubuntu's update-initramfs.

Yes, that would be the one. Take a look at the man page fro that and it
will hopefully explain things in Ubuntu.

In /boot I have a number of initramfs-3.x.t.y.fc20.x86_64.img files, and
similar files for configxxx, vmlinuz-xxx etc.

Normally on boot (and there are actaully ways around it) the initramfs
is loaded, and IT then loads the vmlinuz file, which controls the rest
of the boot. And if the initramfs contains the *wrong* video module,
that module gets deleted on the switchover and the video card enters an
interesting state.... And hilarity ensues.

So try rebuilding the initramfs (remember to choose a different name,
then do 3-name swap to get the new one named the same as the old one,
without losing trhe old one.  Been there!

Geoff
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury