[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 22:00:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose most of my aversion to it comes from being a SQL developer
> myself, and being as comfortable as I am with all that.  Turning it
> into a black box in that way just rubs the every wrong way possible I
> suppose.

I can understand that.  I have been doing "databases" since
when fixing the DB meant updating the (binary) blocks on
disk (using disk editing tools, not some DB magic).  I *like*
being able to do that.  And I have done careful tuning, and
learnt more about optimizers than I had ever planned to do
on many systems (including the one I use for MythTV, which
is not dedicated to that function).

That all said, except for the 1%, it just does not any sense
to make it easily available.  And, for the 1%, unless the
embedded DB end up being "proprietary" (which seems
really really unlikely), those that know will know how to
use other methods to get to the data.