[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct JSON service on the back burner?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 16 18:57:40 UTC 2014

On 16/10/14 12:52 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

>> I don't know about the 'buntu universe, but the same repos are and have been
>> used for all mythtv packages against all Fedora versions since Fedora 4. No
>> changes needed. Using ubuntu seems to be its own punishment.
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> You have made it abundantly clear that you don't use Ubuntu (I'm going
> to just assume that you have no hard feeling against Ubuntu but prefer
> Fedora rather than some vitriol hatred of the OS), so let me try to
> clarify a few things.

Nothing generally against Ubuntu. When I first started trying Linux, I
tried a number of different distros. I'm not even sure that Ubuntu
existed yet, then. Had 3 at once on the laptop at one point, as well as
the OS/2 which I then ran as my main system. (Hah I even had SCO Xenix
on a laptop in the late 80's; that was the original SCO not the SCOfflaws).

Ended up on Fedora and just liked the way it all fit together. Tried
Ubuntu at one point, and to be frank it didn't seem to like KDE and I
didn't like Gnome. plus the brown colour scheme was a downer. And of
course, things were put in slightly different places, which would have
worn off if I had stayed.

My last comment was aimed at the fact that OS upgrades on Ubuntu seem to
cause *lots* of breakage. I haven't seen that with Fedora.

> I've not used Fedora since Fedora core 6, but
> I've been looking through the rpmfusion repos and talking to some RPM
> users and from what I can understand RPMFusion has two sets of repos,
> main and -updates (there is also an updates testing repo, but I'm not
> counting that since it's testing), and I see that the main repo
> contains one major version of MythTV while the updates repo contains
> the next major version. As I've not used Fedora in a long time, I'm
> going to have to take what you said at face value "the same repos are
> and have been used for all mythtv packages against all Fedora versions
> since Fedora 4", meaning that you don't need to enable anything else
> to get updates because both the main and updates repos are enabled by
> default (or at least both enabled when you enable RPMFusion). While it
> is surely up to the Richard to package MythTV for RPMFusion however he
> wants, doing it this way does have the promlematic effect of upgrading
> from one major MythTV version to another if it's not done carefully.

For this purpose, there are a number of groups of repos. Fedora has its
main 'install' level repo per version, plus updates. Those are enabled
by default.

In addition, there are 2 other main outside repos: atrpms and rpmfusion
( which is the fusion of 3 other repos). You don't have to install them,
but they provide access to stuff which is not on the fedora sites. Each
yum conf repo file allows you to set which actual repos you wish to
enable: free, free-updates, free-updates-rawhide. The non-free are
programs which are not GPL2 or not available for legal copyright/patent
reasons in the US.

  So if you do not wish to update from one repo, you can disable the
repo. You can also, at any time, exclude a package from any transaction.
An excluded package is treated as if it did not exist.

So inadvertent upgrades really fall into the area of "operator error".

And NO of COURSE NOT, I have NEVER done THAT!

> I'm not sure why you think "Using ubuntu seems to be its own
> punishment.", as you can see it seems that users being able to select
> which MythTV branch they are on is working fine. The fact that Fedora
> users can apparently get automatically upgraded to a new major MythTV
> version unless they are careful when upgrading seems to be a problem,
> but I'm sure an accidental major version upgrade would never happen as
> all the Fedora users are super careful when updating. All 169** of
> them.

Interesting statistic. I would have guessed a way more than that.
So we are an elite group among the mob! </sarc>

So there might be a slightly more visible and fine-grained selection,
available on the *buntu side of things. That might actually be
counter-productive when this sort of thing comes along as people are
running very old versions and those are the people I suspect are most
likely to have problems on this sort of forced change.

I don't know that to be the case. The real bottom line, is that we are
all running an OS which by its very nature changes on a daily basis. It
is not an appliance, and not a closed source glob (which needs security
updates more often than it needs program updates!).

I'm not sure of your point any more. SD has come up with three different
and available methods of avoiding a major problem come November 1, 2014.
One will work with a little bit of an edit to one file. Another will
work, if you upgrade to a new version of mythtv (as soon as it is
available in your repo set). And the last, works at least with version
.27 plus, but requires that you do a little work to set it up. If you
are in the Bahamas, or Jamaica the last may be the only game in town.

Someday, the XML schema will get upgraded to allow access to some of the
extra data which is in the JSON data feed. This conversation will be
revisited then.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury