[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 18:50:54 UTC 2014

Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to be clear, this is not intended as any sort of slight against
> any of the devs (for whom I have nothing but respect and gratitude),
> but as for my vote, this is one I hope and pray never gets any
> traction.  I positively abhor this idea to an extent I almost can't
> convey...

Sort of what went through my mind when I saw it.
I deal, and over the years have dealt, with a lot of different systems at work - and without fail the ones using "embedded DBs" are by far the worst to deal with *when* things go wrong.

I also fail to see how taking the DB internal will avoid issues like tuning. As pointed out, tuning is "not trivial" and just like (for example) it's not possible to provide ready-made channel sets for the myriad of different use cases, I can't see that it will be possible to provide default DB tuning parameters for the myriad of different use cases.