[mythtv-users] Notice to Schedules Direct users

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 16 17:16:18 UTC 2014

On 15/10/14 06:17 PM, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>> If you are a Schedules Direct user then please read the 'Notice to Schedules
>> Direct users' news item at http://www.mythtv.org/
>
> Wow, so much FUD.
>
> The JSON grabber ALTERs the videosource table to add a timestamp
> column. It shocks me that the MythTV upgrade process is fragile enough
> to be broken by an extra column. I guess I'll have to delete this
> column before upgrading. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

WOW WOW WOW so much FUD

The JSON grabber does NOT add any columns to ANY table. At one early
point in development it did add a column to the videosource table. That
change was reverted some time ago.

NO schemas will be broken by using the JSON grabber.

The JSON grabber adds about 6 of its own tables into the mythconverg
database. Some people think that a completely separate database should
be used. That adds more complexity where it is not needed

It adds ONE line to the settings table. That is IT besides the data
added to the usual tables.

> What is the timeline for official support of the JSON API? The author
> of the JSON grabber admitted that it's essentially a proof-of-concept
> for the API and that a native grabber was welcome. I had some issues
> with schedule latency (last minute changes by the network), so I
> started testing the new JSON data. I found it to be far superior, much
> lower update latency and subsequently more accurate recordings. I'd
> love to see official support.

One of the things about FOSS is that there is very little 'official'
where any official should be standing....

              R. Geoffrey Newbury