[mythtv-users] Notice to Schedules Direct users

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Thu Oct 16 17:06:57 UTC 2014

On 16/10/14 17:35, Joseph Fry wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Jon Heizer <jheizer at gmail.com
> <mailto:jheizer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org
>     <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 05:09:41PM -0500, Jon Heizer wrote:
>         > >
>         > >
>         > >>
>         > >>  From that "Actions may be taken in future to actively
>         block the use of
>         > > this 'JSON' grabber because of the damage it may cause to
>         the integrity of
>         > > the MythTV database."  Elaborate? How does it hurt a
>         mythtv installation.
>         > > Are you going to require packagers to include some sort of
>         non-deletable
>         > > binary to enforce this policy of actively blocking users
>         from using their
>         > > systems the way they want?
>         > >
>         > >
>         >  Do you want a non-MythTV executable modifying your
>         database?  Are you
>
>             I do this all the time actually.
>
>             If I were more squeamish about this sort of thing, I would
>         probably
>         not be using Linux or MythTV.
>
>         > going try to ask MythTV developers to support that in the
>         future when
>         > things break?  I think your are taking it all a bit far.
>
>             You present a far too tempting target here.
>
>         [deletia]
>

>     All I am trying to say is everyone needs to stop panicking.
>     Upgrade to .27.4 or make a DNS change and life goes on.  Don't
>     worry about JSON or anything else.  There have been way too many
>     emails over a problem that is no longer a problem.
>

> The problem is that you think we are panicking.  This JSON upgrade to
> SD is something to celebrate, not fear. For existing SD users it
> provides more data, and potentially more flexibility than the existing
> XML solution.  For folks in the rest of the world it might finally
> provide them accurate and reliable guide data where they may not have
> had it before.
>
> I think anyone talking about the JSON service is wondering why the
> community pushed for the workaround that keeps using the old XML data
> rather than going straight to JSON.  The proof of concept provided by
> SD works, it could just use some refinement... I think the community
> could have focused on that and taken a step forward rather than
> maintaining the status quo.

If we had been given enough time and a US dev could find time to work on
it then things would have been done differently. The 1st Nov deadline
was a surprise to all including SD themselves.

Since there is a working solution that only requires users to update to
0.27.4 the heat is off. A solution that uses a grabber in XMLTV that
uses the JSON service is still considered the way to go so we don't have
to maintain two different ways to grab EPG data.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Paul H.