[mythtv-users] Google Nexus Player as MythTV Frontend

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:42:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I use my MythTV frontend via an N bridge (Apple Airport to Time Capsule)
> and MPEG2 streaming is flawless for me.  I get ~160Mbps throughput.  But,
> YMMV based on distances, home construction materials, etc.
>
> The bluetooth remote is an issue -- can't integrate into my universal
> remote.  But, I guess adding an IR receiver via USB can solve that.
>
> There are a few MythTV android frontend apps already.    I'm hoping that
> one of them can be a good option, as I would really like a single device
> that could do commercial service streaming as well as MythTV.

Every Android MythTV app I've used so far has been a bit lacking. But
they've been written with portable devices in mind. Perhaps one needs to be
written more specifically for a device like this?

I can stream MPEG-2 over 11n without much of an issue at home. But does
this thing decode MPEG-2 or is it expecting everything to be H.264? I wish
a dang CableCard-to-H.264 device would come out, but that's another topic.

As for a remote, MythMote on my phone is pretty good, and Torc on my iPad
is fantastic (or was, the last time I used it). Hopefully if the Logitech
folks can get in on this, the Harmony Smart Control with its legacy-style
remote could be an option.

Since this is Atom plus PowerVR I don't see much chance of somebody loading
a true Linux distribution on it. Especially since, as mentioned above, the
MythTV plugin for Plex works well enough to at least access recorded
content. Maybe it's time to develop a true Android-based FE? Of course, I
say this having no development skills or anything productive to add to such
a project. :-)