[mythtv-users] Notice to Schedules Direct users

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Oct 15 22:04:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM, William Jacoby <bonelifer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/2014 4:49 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>
>> If you are a Schedules Direct user then please read the 'Notice to
>> Schedules Direct users' news item at http://www.mythtv.org/
>>
>> Paul H.
>>
> From that "Actions may be taken in future to actively block the use of this
> 'JSON' grabber because of the damage it may cause to the integrity of the
> MythTV database."  Elaborate? How does it hurt a mythtv installation.  Are
> you going to require packagers to include some sort of non-deletable binary
> to enforce this policy of actively blocking users from using their systems
> the way they want?

It changes the schema which WILL break future MythTV upgrades. My
guess is they would probably just detect the bad data and not allow
the schema change (which includes throwing out the data), but I'm
unsure. In any case, moving to that JSON grabber definitely requires
more work when a simple package upgrade will resolve the issue prior
to Nov 1st, so why not just do that? Then a proper JSON grabber
sactioned by the MythTV team can be created and tested.

Honestly I'm kinda surprised that people want to jump to a new JSON
grabber written by a non-mythtv dev that has only been through limited
testing for a few weeks.

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos