[mythtv-users] Comcast Homerun Prime Cablecard activation issues

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 18:23:49 UTC 2014

I have been using a Homerun Prime for almost a year with no issue. It
broke and I got a new one under warranty. I plugged my cablecard into
the new homerun prime and  the device web admin page told me to call and
get it activated. The people at Comcast were unable to activate due to
it "already being paired with my old Homerun Prime", even after I went
and exchanged the cable card for another one. They insisted a technician
visit was needed.

Later I tried a test of watching a program through the Homerun prime
config GUI. I was surprised to find it receives the encrypted channels
perfectly. I switched mythtv to the new device id and found my channels,
both basic channels and cable channels receive and record perfectly, in
spite of the web interface saying I needed to call to activate. I
canceled the technician visit appointment.

As soon as I use it for watching, the web interface message telling me
to activate disappears. It says "Card Authentication success, Card OOB
Lock success, Card Validation none. The message saying I have to call
and activate comes back a little later if I do not watch anything for a
while.

Some things are different - the web interface does not show the channel
lineup (channel lineup shows no channels), and using the command
"hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner2/vstatus" shows "auth=subscribed
cci=none cgms=none" where before it showed "auth=subscribed
cci=unrestricted cgms=n/a"

Does anybody know what is going on? Is the whole activation process
unnecessary? Should I leave well alone since it is working or try
spending more time on the phone or with a technician visit?

Peter