[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Oct 10 21:13:22 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM, David A. De Graaf <dad at datix.us> wrote:
> The notion of packaging a list of receivable broadcast stations
> based on my postal ZIP code is fundamentally wrong.

The lists aren't receivable stations, but conceivably possible
receivable stations.

> Prepackaged lineups based on user location are fine for packaged
> distributions like cable or satellite.  A different, more flexible
> system is required for broadcast TV.

The cable lineups list every channel carried by that carrier.  If I as
a user don't subscribe to that channel, I won't receive it, but it's
still in the lineup.  I just turn it off.

Likewise, if there's a tree or mountain in between your antenna and
the transmitter, then you can't receive that channel either.  Turn it
off.

I don't see how the broadcast situation is unique in this respect.

Eric