[mythtv-users] Live TV judder until channel change

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 05:35:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> I have had the same judder recently.  If I do a skip back (10
>> seconds), then the judder goes away, so it looks as though the
>> playback point might be too close to the end of the buffer and the
>> playback is pausing to wait for the arrival of more data.
>>
>> There was a recent build where I was not always getting sound on
>> LiveTV, but that was fixed the next day.
>>

> I've not tried the skip back to see if it resolves but I'll give that a
> try.  I did notice that if I go from a 720p channel to another 720p channel
> I still get the judder.  It takes a resolution change (going to the 1080i
> and back) to fix the problem.

I'm bringing this one back up again...  Even with the most recent build
(info below) I get judder on live TV for 720p broadcasts.  It's really bad
and also affects audio sync.  I decided to pull an old version from before
I wrote the first post and there was no judder from that build.  There is
definitely something going on.  The "good" build was from
mythtv-v0.27.3-111-g5c76f33.  I'll try the bisect between g5c76f33 and
g926bb8d.

If I get a chance I'll try my hand at a git bisect this weekend and see if
I can track down what is going on.  I don't know if it's relevant but I'm
using a Gen 1 HDHR.

Recordings do not display this issue and only live TV.

Version pulled today that still has problems:

mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v0.27.3-181-ge1d575d
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20140719-1
QT Version : 4.8.6
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_pulse using_backend
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd
using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl
using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_sdl
using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2