[mythtv-users] New Mythbuntu 14.04 battle with nvidia boot up

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Thu Oct 9 20:42:46 UTC 2014

On 07/10/14 09:32, Craig Huff wrote:
> I know I've battled this problem before, but I either stumbled on to
> the solution and didn't really know how I fixed it or the rules have
> changed and I don't know the new solution. :-(
>
> I have a system that works perfectly fine with the old Mythbuntu
> image, but when I swap out the system disk and use another one that
> I'm installing Mythbuntu 14.04 on, it gets hung up on boot 99% of the
> time.  I reboot into the recovery mode and hit enter a couple of times
> and voila! the system comes up successfully.
>
> I've tried a variety of settings for /etc/default/grub entries
> "GRUB_GFXMODE" and "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX" with and without the file
> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash containing the single line
> "FRAMEBUFFER=y".
>
> Each time I make a change I go through the magic incantations:
>      update-initramfs -u -k all
>      update-grub
> before I try a reboot to see whether that works.
>
> I've been trying to work with the nvidia-304 package which supports
> the GeForce 7300 GS video card I have installed, in case that affects
> any advice you might offer.
>
> At the moment, I've removed the nvidia-304 and nvidia-settings
> packages, rebooted with the nvidia driver uninstalled.  I have created
> the aforementioned /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash file, set both
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768, and
> reinstalled the nvidia packages again.  I expect that when I reboot,
> this will still lock up on boot and leave me with a blank screen as
> usual.  Barring any brilliant inspiration (or words of wisdom from the
> list), I think it's time to call it a day and go watch some recorded
> shows. ;-)
>
> This is driving me mad.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on how
> to get out of this trap.

I'm just guessing here (I had to back-port to 12.04 after 14.04 failed on my
nvidia 9400)
But I would try completely disabling any sort of framebuffer / GUI boot splash.

I notice that 14.04 has framebuffer GUI splash/logo stuff, and 12.04 does
not, it's pure text.

Even with just the install CD/DVD I got some screen corruption just before
the framebuffer GUI started.
(With both Mythbuntu 12.04.04, and 14.04.01)
So .. have you tried FRAMEBUFFER="n"  (or whatever it takes to turn this
sucker off).

cheers,
-kt