[mythtv-users] [OT] Ugrading Mythbuntu 12.04 -> 14.04 "broke" my server hardware.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:32:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My old system was running a GeForce 6600, and given the number of
> issues that have recently been reported relating to older Nvidia
> cards, I suspect it is more of a driver issue than hardware breaking.

Yeah, sounds likely.

The 6xxx cards were only supported in one of nvidias
previous legacy splits (304 and below, I think).  And
I would not be surprised if the default in many distros
upgraded to the "later and better" drivers.  In most
cases you could downgrade the driver, but that only
works if you know about your options.

In some ideal world there would be an "upgrade
adviser" that warned one about hardware that was
no longer supported with the latest versions of
software so that people would not have to actually
try to decipher the release notes.

The entire proprietary binary blob driver issue just
causes such a mess in the Linux environment,
and is not limited to graphics cards (for this lists,
participants, some tuners have exactly the same
challenges).