[mythtv-users] Radio Times XML Feed

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Oct 8 17:30:33 UTC 2014

On 08/10/14 17:34, mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> Quoting Adam Skinner <kingmoffa at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> With the impending launch of ITV Be channel in the UK , for the WAF I
>> need
>> to get myself some guide data for this channel. Yes , Im aware the
>> content
>> of this channel may be terrible.
>>
>> I'm currently using the radio times XML feed  (tv_grab_uk_rt)  - but
>> I dont
>> think this new channel has any data supplied by this method. Running
>>
>> tv_grab_uk_rt --list-channels
>>
>> and it doesn't show.
>>
>> Please could someone point me in the right direction? Im guessing I
>> need to
>> change data source or wait for RT to update.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> You need the atlas grabber. It already has program listings for ITVBe
> and it is terrible. You don't need a guide for this type of channel as
> you are meant to switch your brain off before watching.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim.

The RT feed will be depreciated on 1st November and shutdown in January
2015. There is still a possibility the radio times grabber will be
updated to use the new API so the switch would be seemless but until
then to get data for the new channels you have to use the atlas grabber.

I switched  recently to use the Atlas grabber which seems to be working OK.

These are few (possibly incomplete) notes I made that hopefully will
help anyone to try the new grabber.

1. get a key - click 'get your free api key' on
http://atlas.metabroadcast.com/#apiExplorer (you need a twitter, google
or github login)
2. create app once logged in - the web site often fails so be patient
pressing back often works
3. get latest stable xmltv 0.5.65 or later
4. start mythtv-setup
5. Select a Video Source and change the grabber to 'UK - Atlas
(atla.metabroadcast.com) (xmltv)'
6. Press the configure button and follow the instructions - this will
ask for your key and what region/channels you want and then create the
config file the grabber will use to get the correct channels for the source
7. Some of the id's may need changing in the channel editor for example
all the itv1

bbc2.bbc.co.uk         -> england.bbc2.bbc.co.uk // or use one of the
other regions scotland/wales etc
granada.itv1.itv.co.uk -> granada.itv1.itv.com   // same is true for all
the itv1 regions

8. If you want to test you can remove all the existing programs from the
program table by running this query in mysql

truncate program;

9. Now run mythfilldatabase to grab the new data

10. mythfilldatabase will appear to fail with an error when using the
early versions of the Atlas grabber.
That's because the grabber return 1 to indicate an error because it
can't find a supplemental file
tv_grab_uk_atlas/tv_grab_uk_atlas.user.map.conf. Later versions ignore
the error.

11. the atlas grabber doesn't support "allatonce" like the old radio
times grabber so to get similar behaviour you need to add the '--refresh
0-99' to mythfilldatabase

Paul H.